nderstanding how to apologise will serve children well in their interactions with their peers.
If they understand that everyone makes mistakes from time to time, and that saying sorry sincerely can go a long way to fixing things, it helps to reduce any notions of shame they might associate with not being perfect and helps them be more relaxed and confident in their relationships.
The fundamental thing for children to understand is that a sincere and proper apology is never a sign of weakness but quite the opposite. It is a sign of confidence and good character.
• If you do something wrong to someone else, saying sorry is the first step to making things right.
• Saying sorry is not a sign of weakness – Quite the opposite, it is a sign of strength of character.
• If you say sorry, you should be sincere.
• Saying sorry means the other person can accept your apology and then everyone can move on.
QUESTIONS TO START A CONVERSATION
• If someone does something wrong to you, what do you expect them to do?
• If you do something wrong to someone, what should you do?
• Why is it a good thing to say sorry?
“It does not make us weak
it makes us strong,
When we say we’re sorry
if we’re in the wrong!”
SAYING SORRY BUTTONS
Print them, color them, cut them out and hand them over to people you love when you feel you need to say sorry.
A4 HOME WALL POSTER
Print these posters as part of a set.
Collect one for every Topic.
For a bit of fun, here’s a completion certificate to print out and complete. Try to collect them all!